Friday, August 28, 2009

Avocado Revisited and (Unfortunate) Activity on Our Street

The Great Avocado Debate

So, today I tried a avocado/BANANA milkshake after receiving two comments about how delicious an avocado shake could be if it only included a banana.

True or False?

True.


Avocado + Milk + Sugar = Nauseating

Avocado + Milk + Sugar + Banana = Delicious.

Who knew? (other than Stephanie and Lori)

Nefarious Activity on Our Street

This morning our maid opened up the newspaper and called me over to look at this picture:

(photo by Marcelo Carnaval)

The guys standing in the photo are the guards who work at the fancy-shmancy beauty salon right next door to our building. We're friends with these guys. There are super nice. They say hello to us when we walk by, they make small talk about their favorite soccer teams, the weather, and about how cute our kids are.

Yesterday, they caught this guy (the one who is laying on his stomach in the picture) who was attempting to rob a car very near our house. Since they were dressed in their Men In Black work suits, I am assuming this happened during business hours.

This disturbs me.

I called Guapo and what does he say? "That's awesome." Such a guy. I don't think it's awesome we've got car robbers running around our street during business hours, but what do I know???

Not the "Little Pig" Flu

That's what someone called the Swine Flu at church last week, "a gripe porquinha". Isn't that funny?

Anyway, after telling myself I'm not sick the last couple of days I am finally admitting I may, in fact, have a cold.

I do not look like this yet:


...so I think I'm ok. (Sorry, I don't know who to give the credit for this creepy picture, but since it came to me in a forward (thank you Stu) I figure the person probably wants it all over the Internet.)

I went out tonight with Guapo to get some vitamin C as my supply is gone. As Guapo was checking out he asked if I really wanted the vitamin C as he showed me the price tag. I thought it said $18.90, which would have been about $10.50 USD (a rip off, yes, but not surprising here), but it really said $78.90, or $44.00 USD (a shocking rip-off).

For 100 vitamin C tablets ???

I think not. I passed on the V-C. I'll just eat some oranges, thank you very much.

Have a good weekend!

12 comments:

Janet said...

That pig picture is just weird!

I hope you don't have the swine flu. I'm trying not to worry about our kids getting it, or any kind of flu really. We're way overdue.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

That is an insane price for vit c- want me to send you some? It might be cheaper- :)

Stephanie said...

Okay that pig picture is creepy. I didnt like that at all!

And scary about the bad guy, but glad he was caught!

And I am SO glad you tried the shake with banana and liked it! It is one of my favorite treats! The banana truly does make ALL the difference! Thanks for being a brave soul and trying again!!

And the vitamin C. I swear, the things you think are going to be expensive here...well acutally they usually are. The things that I think aren't going to be expensive..well they usually are too. Stupid.

Janice said...

That is one of the creepiest pictures I have ever seen. And, I now must try and avocado and banana shake.

Kari said...

OK, now I am tempted to try the bizarre combination of the shake.

The pig pic is quite disconcerting...as is seeing a crime scene photo of your neighborhood in the newspaper, I am sure.

(And yes, I can just HEAR guapo's enthusiastic response! ha!)

Ballerina Girl said...

Where did that picture come from? hahaha!

I hope that you are feeling better soon...we gotta catch up! I am back and ready for some girly talks!

BG

Xinnia said...

It's so weird that I had never heard of an avocado milkshake, and then my aunt from Saipan mentioned how good they were when we were just in Maine, and then I saw them advertised at a Thai restaurant, and then I saw them on your blog! Strange too that the banana seems to make all the difference.

Too bad about the nefarious activity.

andalucy said...

sorry, that was not my daughter Xinnia, it was me, Lucy. (formerly Calandria.) confused?

Fabiola said...

I hope you are feeling better.
I made a quick stop at the ER due to a really bad throat infection.
As soon as I arrived to the ER, they handed me a mask. The guy said "you might not have the swine flu, but you will get it. So, it is hospital police to use the mask."
So there I was for about one hour with a mask and then out with a big box of antibiotics.

Fabiola

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way down to try out the avocada/banana drink and I'll be carrying a bottle of Vit C in my back pocket. Tell your guard next door hi and that your mama is proud of him. He's a lot like your bro. See if BG is up for breakfast or lunch.

Abby said...

I can't say I'm convinced about the avocado/banana shake (I'm not a huge banana fan), but you have me curious. Good thing your new van is still in CO:)

Emily said...

Dear Gabs,
I like your blog the best of all those that I follow because I don't have to enter an email and password to see it.
Keep it up!