Monday, August 31, 2009

"If You Would Have Told Me 10 Years Ago..."

I love the non-normalness of my life (generally speaking). I love that I find myself in situations that I never would have dreamed up for myself in my younger years.

I remember the first time that happened after we started our overseas adventure-we had recently arrived in Venezuela. I was out in Guapo's car by myself, jamming to some Spanish tunes, driving on a freeway in Caracas and all of a sudden it just hit me like a ton of bricks-"Hey, look at me, I'm driving around in SOUTH AMERICA. Who would have thought?"

These moments happen with less frequency now as I'm a little more accustomed to being in unusual situations, but I had one on Saturday night.



My piano "recital".

I was sitting there thinking, "Here I am, in this little apartment in the middle of a huge city in Brazil, surrounded by only Brazilians, playing my remedial piano pieces. How odd."

I was the second youngest in the group. The lady right behind me to my left turned 80 the day before. She was talking about her French lessons and her watercolor classes she's taking right now (at least I think that's what she was talking about, it was all in Portuguese). How cool is that? I hope when I'm 80 I'm still looking for new things to learn and do. She also kicked all of our butts on the piano (and seemed to enjoy doing so I might add), but, she has had a little more time to practice than me.



This guy was a hoot. He was probably around 70 and was our last performer. There was nothing my teacher could do to get the guy to stop playing the keyboard until finally she said we all had to leave because she had another engagement.



One thing I've noticed about Brazilians (at least the ones where we live) is that it seems to me that they are very interested in learning throughout their lives, not only when they are young. They always seem to be taking courses or classes or workshops to learn something new. What a fantastic characteristic.

Anyway, if you would have told me 10 years ago I'd be sitting in Rio, with a bunch of old Brazilians playing piano, I never would have believed it. I love that about life. And I love that I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing in 10 more years.

I just hope there's a Target there. :)

9 comments:

Kari said...

What a cool post. I agree 100%, whole-heartedly!!!!!!!!! My grandma is 98 3/4, started painting at 75, and does a crossword puzzle every day. So much learning to do, so little time! Thanks for the reminder.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

That is so true (the Target part as well)- sometimes it can even be shocking just to look back 5 years. A while ago I found a post idea that did look back- 20 years- 15 years- and so on- to an hour ago- It was very interesting to focus on the road I had come over. Might have to revisit that post concept again-

And good job on taking up the piano- I need to do that too.

Ballerina Girl said...

and I just hope we continue to stay in touch ;)
Hey, I had wanted to hear that recital!

See you tomorrow!
BG

Janice said...

On our last family long car ride, I sat with a pickle jar full of urine on my lap for about two hours. I looked at Dentist husband and said, "When I was imagining my life as mother, it never occurred to me that I would drive in a car with a pickle jar full of my son's urine on my lap."

So, you don't have to live overseas to have those moments. :)

Fabiola said...

How nice!!!

I love piano recitals. Even though I can't play anything.
Somedays, I just feel that the only thing I do is work.

I was talking to a friend, who has 2 sons, and we both realized that we are in desperate need of some girl hobby, like painting, scrapbooking ... I just need to find time to learn a new things.

And yes, thank God for the antibiotics : ) I am feeling better already.

Fabiola

k-cubed's mom said...

Congratulations on your recital!You are awesome because you continue to take all these lessons and learn new things despite being very busy with 4 groing kids! I keep on telling myself that I will start something once the kids are a bit bigger. Should take longer now with baby #3.

Btw, changed my name from "squared" to "cubed".

nikko said...

Good for you!

andalucy said...

That's great that you are learning piano! Good for you. How cool that people in Brazil are so open to learning when they are older. I have a Brazilian friend and I can totally see her being that way.

I've been in Spain less than one week and yesterday I found myself fantasizing about Target. What's wrong with me?

Jordanna said...

Love it! I'm so glad you made the leap and started taking lessons! Are the kids taking lessons, too?

I think it's funny that I'd think to check your blog today and read about piano lessons....I'm going to start teaching again next week for everybody in my Spanish branch that wants to learn. Thanks for giving me my first opportunity, I'll do better this time.

And I can empathize with the Target fascination. Target is just a mile away from my house, and I still go there several time a week and I don't get tired of it! I can wander the aisles and find something new and cool every time! :)