Tuesday, December 20, 2011

When being "cool" really just means being "cold"

Umm, I haven't posted for a while.  Blogger's all different.  Not sure I like it.  Hmmmm. I see I can now strike through my words with ease.  And change font color? or background color?  Maybe I do like it.  We'll see.

So.  My fifth grader, Julio, is a relatively cool kid as far as fifth graders go.  What this currently entails is wearing summer clothing despite the fact that we are well into winter in these parts.   If it's below 32 we've got a deal where he wears pants to school over his shorts and then strips down once he's there.  I haven't seen his winter coat all season-if it's really cold he wears a sweatshirt.  We got in a big "discussion" a couple of weeks ago because it was 3 degrees out (windchill below 0) and he was headed to basketball practice-I told him to put some pants on over his shorts and he freaked, "Stop treating me like a baby-I'M ELEVEN!!!"

And showing such good judgement, what was I thinking?

Yesterday I was taking the kids over to my mom's to decorate Christmas cookies.  It was probably in the high 30's.  He started to head out to the car in a t-shirt, shorts and BARE FEET.  I mean, why should he wear shoes? He was just going to remove them the second he got in to the house so, really, what's the point of wearing them in the car?

Duh!

If he starts acting like a teenager 2 years early-does that mean he'll come out of it 2 years sooner or will I just have 2 extra years of it?

10 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

Hi my friend!
Well, let's hope the version of two years earlier is true...I got it with my 13 year old one!
They also wear shorts to school because it is so hot in school in Atyrau, but they wear ski pants over them!

I will call you this week, promise :). Miss you!
BG

Fabiola said...

Oh my friend.... I'm laughing.... I can remember my mom having the same kind of discussion with my brother.
Of course, in Curitiba, the temps stay between 30 / 32 F. But it was still a war ; )

Kari said...

I don't get it either. Frigid wind on bare skin = frostbite and the loss of the top layers of skin, pretty quickly...but they're FINE, with a roll of the eyes.

Bare feet, too: of course, I told mine not to wear just socks out into the street. So what happened? OFF CAME THE SOCKS, run out there barefoot when it's in the 20's. Makes sense to someone...??!? Ha.

Lynne said...

So funny because Lucas won't wear his new winter coat this year. Instead he wears two sweatshirts. I think he's crazy but he says he can't play football in a coat. I'm cold with layers on so how do they do it?

Unknown said...

I'm late seeing this post! My 8 year old daughter is starting down this road. I know I will feel your pain when she is 11!

Kari said...

OK, Gabriela--

Time for your Christmas update! How were your holidays? Happy New Year--:)!!

Joey said...

I just came across your blog, funny post - "I'M ELEVEN" !! I know that feeling! I love posts about sort of 'home truths' ...
Life in Dublin - > this way! http://labellavidaaa.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Newport Cigarettes

Cheap Newport Cigarettes

Janet said...

Just catching up on people and read through your last few funny posts! And the leaf pictures are gorgeous. And you don't have lion hair. Fun to keep up with you guys!

Unknown said...


Do you like louis vuitton uk. Buy burberry outlet. I like ugg boots outlet.