Friday, August 25, 2006

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

Poor Margarita (8 yrs) doesn't get much blog time. She just doesn't give me any problems, and who wants to read a blog wherein I just sit and brag about how great my kid is?

But, this time I have to write about her because sometimes she is so sweet I don't know where she came from.

School started this week. Although I would love to post a pic of Margarita and Julio (5 yrs old) in there super-sharp uniforms, we are really trying to avoid the whole "Man on Fire" scenario. No, I haven't actually seen the movie, but everyone this summer, upon finding out we were moving to Big City, was kind enough to fill me in on all of the horrific details. So, sorry, their uniforms would give away their school, so, no pic.

I think it was the first day of school and Margarita came home and told me one of her classmate's moms was bringing cupcakes the following day to celebrate her birthday. "That's nice," I said, never offering to buy a gift because, hello, I don't want to set a precedent this early in the year of buying each kid a gift on their birthday.

So that was that.

This morning the mom of the birthday girl called me to tell me how sweet Margarita was for bringing her daughter a gift and that she would return my tupperware to me soon.

"Huh?"

Margarita collected "Littlest Pet Shop" animals all summer. She was up to 10. I think she got one as a gift, I purchased one for her, and my mom got her one. The others she spent her own, hard-earned money on.
She took 6 of her 10 animals and boxed them up in a tupperware container and took them to school without my knowledge (I am sure she knew I wouldn't have let her give away more than half of her collection!) to give as a birthday present to a girl she hardly knows.

*Tears in my eyes*

Sometimes my kids really amaze me.

(BTW: just to show you how not nice I am, I have to mention that now the birthday girl has 40 little animals and Margarita has 4 and this doesn't seem to bother her AT ALL.)

19 comments:

Lana said...

How wonderful. Sounds like M has a sweet and generous little soul! Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

She is an angel. She always has been. My kids are still talking about her. What a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

You should be VERY proud!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Oh - I got tears in my eyes. So naturally giving and sweet.

But yeah, I hope that littel girl gets Marguerita something dang good for her birthday. :) (I would be one of the not naturally sweet people...)

Anonymous said...

I'm reading this blog to my daughter and without batting an eyelash, she says, "She's really sweet , Mom that's why I miss her a lot. I don't think I'll ever find a another best friend".

Awesome Mom said...

How sweet! What a great kid.

Nettie said...

That is so sweet! You've done a good job with her!

Paulette said...

How precious, I love that she is so giving. My son saved 6 months for the new razor skooter when it first came out. He got it a month before Christmas. At Christmas his class adopted alittle boy who wanted the same skooter. Calebs teacher told them it was to expensive, so my son gave his awesome colbot blue skooter to this boy.
I admire that in our children. It shows others are more important. Caleb never regretted it. He is 15 now and still just as giving.

Blackeyedsue said...

Wow. You are doing a good job raising M. She sounds as sweet and kind as you.

Give her a hug from all of us!

I would love to hear more gushing and bragging about those kiddlets of yours.

Karla said...

What a perfect story of selflessness. Very refreshing:).

Kristine said...

This is a wonderful, refreshing look at what God wants us to be like. What is that scripture? "Except ye become as a little child you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven" Margarita would be one of the ones we need to be more like.

Anonymous said...

That little one is an angel on earth.

the lizness said...

definitely more bragging is in order what great kids!

utmommy said...

Kids really do amaze us sometimes. Sounds like she as a good example at home.

I don't mind the bragging, go right ahead!!

smart mama said...

what a great daughter!you should have a warm heart

did you get my email btw?

Lei said...

What a sweet, sweet girl. I wsh she and daughter could be friends... there's a lack of sweetness in our neck of the woods. :S

Deannna - Younique Presenter said...

What a sweetheart! Are you adjusting to big city life? There are so many birthdays at school and they are such a big deal here in mexico, the parents go all out with pinantas and tacos and cake and prizes. I didn't used to give gifts but then I started feeling guilty when my kids came home with cool stuff on someone elses birthday, so now we have a stash of stuff that I find on sale, we just pick a boy or girl gift depending on the situation. The dollar store is great for that too.

Unknown said...

Can she come spend some time with my kids so her example can rub off on them??? She sounds wonderful!

Super Happy Girl said...

What do you mean "I don't know where she came from"?, you silly duck.

I have never seen "Man on Fire" (don't plan to), thanks for being safe.

Margarita is so sweeeeeet! I also got teary eyed :D