Tuesday, January 29, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

There are so many lovely posts out there honoring President Gordon B. Hinckley, the leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who passed away Sunday evening; I can't add anything new but just wanted to share my thoughts. He was the prophet when I joined the church almost 12 1/2 years ago and has been an important figure in my life ever since.

When I think of him I think of someone who was truly exemplifies Christ. He preached, and more importantly, lived a life of, tolerance, acceptance, optimism, kindness, hard-work, faith, and devotion. I always appreciated that in his addresses he never made you feel bad or guilted you into making changes in your life, he just gently encouraged you to try a little harder and to do a little better, to remember our past and look forward to our future.

I, like so many others, am happy he is once again with his beloved wife (and probably getting a well deserved break!), but I will miss his presence and in our church so much.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I too will miss President Hinckley. He is everything you said. I loved listening to him and I loved having him as our prophet.

Have you told your conversion story? I'd love to hear about it!

I enjoyed your post about Pedro. His modeling pictures made me laugh!

andalucy said...

I was just thinking too that i would love to hear your conversion story.

utmommy said...

He truly was an amazing man!

Anonymous said...

President Hinckley has done so much for so many. I honor him as a prophet, and friend. He specially loved the youth of the church. He has been a super optimistic in the face of some of the most troubling times this world has ever faced.

I found a site honoring him, where anyone can go to and leave a message in tribute to his memory.

The site is:
http://honoringpresidenthinckley.blogspot.com/2008/01/honoring-president-gordon-b.html

Super Happy Girl said...

Our prophet was in one word love.
Thanks Gabs, that was beautiful and so true.

marine's words said...

I am sorry for your loss and the loss of your church ,I don't know anything about being mormon? If you would like to share. What does it mean to be a moromn i would like to know?blessing.marina

momofalltrades said...

Holy guacamole! We joined the church about the same time! I too would love to hear your conversion story. He really was such a special guy, I admire him so, so much.