Thursday, August 07, 2008

When School Supplies Offend

So my kids went back to school on Monday. August 4th. So early, don't you think?

July 31st was my last night in the States. Where do you think I was? Spending the last few hours with family, looking out over the beautiful mountain view as we sipped lemonade on my in-laws' porch?

Nope.

I was at Target, frantically shopping, of course. And I'm not too proud to admit that as I was jamming my rental car's teeny trunk full of things I can't possibly live without, I was crying. I just don't know that you can fully appreciate Target without living without it 11 months of the year. Maybe you can.

Anyway, my last trip was dedicated to foodstuffs and school supplies. Margarita's list had on it "4-ring binder". I had only heard of a 3-ring binder, so I figured it was a typo and purchased her the 3-ring binder of her choice at a cost of $5.99.

When she got to class on Monday, it turns out that, sure enough, there is a 4-ring binder and she must have it unless she wants to be punching holes all year. So, we head off to the local papeleria (paper products store) where I purchase 5 dollar roles of scotch tape when I am desperate. She tells me that's where all the kids in her class bought theirs.

The cool one, the one that "everyone" has, costs guess how much? Just take a stab in the dark.

If you said $75.00 USD you are correct!!! (I'll have you know there is nothing special about this notebook-it would cost MAYBE $10.00 in the States. MAYBE.)

The less cool, but still acceptable, 4-ring binder will set you back $60.00 USD.

And then there was a junky plastic one that Margaritia obviously didn't want that cost $10.00 USD.

Guess which one she got?

Yep. The cheap plastic one. I have to give her credit though, she didn't even complain. She's a good girl.

(oh, and one other thing, I bought a stupid toothbrush today for $7.00. Ouch.)

Target withdrawals are painful... (and expensive)

14 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

Wow that is insane!!!!! I would die with out Target (well probably not, but still...)

Anonymous said...

I missed reading your blog and selfishly being relieved that I am not the only one having panic-attacks at not bringing back stuff that I can't live without (sorry...). But I completely sympathize and can totally relate to the whole Target thing! And I'm not even American! How many bags did you bring? I can't begin to imagine your check-in line at the airport!

Karla said...

Oh, I would have cried while leaving Target too!

Lana said...

seriously, how do people afford to live there?

Unknown said...

I was only $55 off! No wonder you miss Target so much! Margarita is a sweet girl to not complain about the cheap binder. I think there would have been complaining from my oldest.

Ballerina Girl said...

hey Gabs....
remember that I asked you about the WII Fit? 89.99 in the States?
Guess how much here in a "games" store?
650 Reals...or for those reading this that is about the equivalent of $403 at today's exchange rate!
Ha, how silly were we? Could we be making some money right now or what?
love u, and so glad to have you back....
BG

Anonymous said...

Wow that is crazy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know now where I am going to open my office supply shop! I will make a killing!

Our liberal town won't let us have target. That sucks to drive to get some good deals!

Anonymous said...

hahaha, Steelers are the King
;) BG

Kari said...

Hi, Gabriela--

Welcome back! I'm so glad you're blogging again. MY stab-in-the-dark guess on the notebook was $20.

Also your being annoyed having someone else in the house comment brought back a wave of maid memories. That's TOTALLY what I thought! Ha.

Janice said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumble across your blog, because I was going to name my blog the same as yours and I did a search and found you. You have made me smile and LOL many times - I thank you for that. Since I have been following your blog for months, I had withdrawals when your computer was out and you were in the estates. Glad everything is somewhat back to normal. All I have to say it's that Margarita has a great mom, expensive binder or not. Keep up the good work!

Yara G.

momofalltrades said...

Wow!~ What in the world are peeps doin' down there to keep up with that kind of expense? I figured things would be cheaper but I guess not!

Super Happy Girl said...

That's crazy talk!
I said $20 and that was too much in my mind.
Yikes.