Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pedro the Great

When Margarita was around 15 months old and we were dirt-poor and living in D.C., we did a babysitting swap with a family that had one little boy her same age. The first time he came over Guapo and I were in shock at how different two babies could be. While Margarita sat quietly on the floor playing with her toys, Stephen quickly surveyed our apartment and located all available buttons that were on the TV, VCR, computer, light switches, and boom box (or from where I came from, a "ghetto blaster". It was 9 years ago, there were no ipods). He went from one area to the next at lightning speed as we tried to keep up with him. By the end of the night we were both EXHAUSTED.

We thought there was something seriously wrong with Stephen (ADHD?), or that his parents were doing something wrong.

...then we had Julio (now 7 yrs old) and realized that there was nothing wrong with Stephen (or his parents), that he was a boy and on the "active side" of normal, as was Julio.

...then we had Juan Carlos who gave us very few toddler problems and we forgot all about what it was like to have a terror in the house.

And now we have Pedro.

I write this not to shock or impress you with his toddler "capabilities", I know that most toddlers are a handful, but so that when I am pining for another baby in a couple of years, I will be able to look back on this post and accurately remember the work that a toddler is.

Things that MUST not be left within Pedros reach (and his reach has gotten a whole lot higher since he learned to drag stools and chairs around with him). We have had experience with each:

Markers
Pens
Pencils
Crayons
Glue
Paint

Shampoo
Conditioner
Hand lotion
Body lotion
Foot lotion
Face lotion
Baby lotion
Toothpaste
Mouthwash
Diaper rash ointment
Bar soap
Liquid soap
Baby soap

Q-tips
Toilet Paper
Baby Wipes
Toothbrushes
Dental floss

Chapsticks
Gluesticks

Plungers
Toilet Bowel brushes
Toilets
Bidets
Faucets

Chairs
Stools
Shelves
Boxes
Couches
Beds

Phones
Computers
Cords that connect things to the computer
Ipods
Blackberrys
DVDs
DVD players
Videos
VHS players
Cameras
Light switches
Baby monitors
Alarm clocks
Power strips
Lamps

Kitchenaids
Sprinkles
Frosting
Cookies
Crackers
Paper towels

Bananas
Apples
Oranges
Potatoes

Books
Magazines
Papers

Water coolers

Wallets

Dryers
Dryer sheets

Dishwashers
Dishwasher soap

Cat food
Cat water
Cat litter
Cats

Lego war fighter planes hand-crafted by Julio

Plants
Flowers
Dirt
Rocks that can be thrown off our 9th floor balcony
Other items, both large and small, that can be thrown off our 9th floor balcony

Cupboards that open

Drawers that open

Doors that open

All liquids

The kid is a walking cyclone. It's a good thing he's cute!

If you'll excuse me, I've got a mess to clean up.

15 comments:

Janice said...

With toothsome #3, I said that to him daily, "It is a good thing you are so cute."

Toothsome #4, while a handful and full of rage, hasn't been as bad as #3. I feel your pain.

Ballerina Girl said...

Laughing WAY out loud!!!
Not my cutie Pedro!!!
And don't worry, I can remind you if you'd like...
but are you sure you don't want another? :)
love u!
BG

momofalltrades said...

Holy cr@p! That list sure got long there sweets! ROFL. I bet you collapse into an exhausted puddle every single day.

Awesome Mom said...

Harry is pretty relentless too! I was soft because Evan was such a docile little boy who really could not get into too much trouble thanks to his stroke. Sometimes with Harry I just want to yell "Quit touching my stuff!"

Just today while I was talking with my visiting teachers Harry got into some cleaner that I thought I had put high enough and was trying to help me clean. A nice sentiment but he had no real idea what he was doing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! It would be nice to meet little Pedro in the near future.

Shelah said...

I love that list! I had a little boy like that once.

Janet said...

That's quite the list.
I hope I'm not speaking too soon but Justin seems to be pretty tame...I'm knocking on wood right now.
I had one like Pedro who will remain nameless (Sadie) and she's still a bit of a handful at age 9...Good Luck!! :)

Unknown said...

Pedro, Pedro, Pedro. You are wearing ME out just thinking about all you are getting into! I hope you take good naps to give your mom a much needed break!

lizzy-loo said...

Pedro is a cute thing though; I think at this age there is a reason they are so cute. We might throw in the towel. I do know a cute thing that got into the makeup bag and painted her eyeball with nail polish. she and her mother survived. keep the faith.

Kari said...

HA! Had to show that one to Frank. It's a classic.

(Sorry but the whole "blogging so I'll remember" thing won't really work. Moms have selective memories, a huge gift we've been given from our Heavenly Father.)

We miss you guys!

marine's words said...

LOL!! I remember those the days !!
now my son loves jumping on the bed"s that drives me crazy!!! marina

andalucy said...

Good thing he's such a cutie. ;-)

Super Happy Girl said...

Cats?
Oh Gabs, you have some explaining to do. Please tell us all about the cats.

:D

utmommy said...

Seriously sounds identical to my S when he was that age. Constantly on the go and constanly into everything.

Unknown said...

Just for the record, I didn't make the baby shower cake...I'm not that talented! I wanted to take the credit, but couldn't. A sister in our branch made it.

How is your "walking cyclone"?