Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Do I Dare Mention It?

Am I superstitious?

I have to admit I'm a little afraid of my blog. Sometimes it curses me-like the thing last week with Margarita having the goal to not miss a single day of school. I know I already harped about this but she made it all the way from August 2nd when she started school until the day after I posted that without missing school. That's eight months! Then I mention it on my blog and she gets sick? I mean, isn't that weird?

And last year, I let it be known via my blog that I was going to run a 1/2 marathon. Then at the height of my training the 192-hour flu hit and left me with just 3 weeks to build back up to 13 miles. I think not.

So, I'm doing it again. I am starting to train for a 1/2 marathon in June in Colorado. "The Slacker Half Marathon" to be exact, which is quite an oxymoron if you ask me. I've got a little more than 2 months to get in shape. I haven't run one now since Juan Carlos (now 6 yrs old) was just a baby. I think it's about time.

It's also helpful that we have a wedding two weeks later (yay for Guapo's sister!) and why that motivates me to get in shape (it's not like it's my wedding), I don't know, but it does.

So, blog, whatcha going to do about it?

(Why am I mentioning this at all if I am, in fact, superstitious? Two reasons. 1) I have nothing else to blog about and Easter's over. And 2) because I'm nervous about actually having to run it-so if there are any "forces" out there that prefer that I not, I'm cool with that. It's better than just being plain lazy.)

10 comments:

mythopolis said...

Ooooh! Won't you have altitude probs in Colorado? But maybe this is what it is all about, just going for it, and being there, and so on. It is definitely better than being lazy! Colorado is beautiful..it is worth it to go there and do next to nothing. If you run, be careful, especially coming off the flu! : )

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

If "Murphey" is out there- I am sure that because you would love an excuse NOT to run- it is almost certain that you will be just fine- contrary wise.

Stephanie said...

Good Luck!

Ballerina Girl said...

I say just go for it...you will be great!
I need to do something like that...but I hate to run ;(
any suggestions :)
See you tomorrow!!!
BG

Abby said...

The day after I blogged about wanting to run a 10 mile race it sold out before we signed up. That's not really a blog jinx, more like poor planning, but still--it has never sold out that early before. Now I need to find something else to keep me huffing and puffing as I pathetically try to become a runner.

P.S. With what I've heard about your running ability I would think you could pick up and run 13 miles anytime, anywhere!You'll do great:)

Janice said...

There is no way I will be in shape in time to do that 1/2 marathon this year, but i PROMISE you, I will join you in doing it next year. Want to make a date?

Gabriela said...

mythopolis: yes, I will have problems since I am at sea level. A few years back when I did it I threw up several times afterwards. Not fun.

Ballerina Girl: hmmmmm, let me think about it.

Abby: come to CO the end of June and you can do it with me. Flights seem really cheap right now.

Janice: totally! It's always the last Sat. in June-it starts at Loveland ski resort and goes to Georgetown-it's the highest elevation 1/2 marathon. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Fabiola said...

Way to go!!!
As for the superstition, I am Brazilian, so it is in my DNA ; )

Janet said...

I am supposed to be Sadie's running buddy for a 5k next Saturday and I'm sweating that! A half marathon would kill me.
Steve and I just re-re-committed to getting back on a running schedule and since it's not my favorite way of exercising we'll see how that goes. Good luck and have fun training!

And that is the cutest picture of Pedro and the egg! He's so blonde!

Super Happy Girl said...

Not the blog jinx again!! ARGH! I hate that ;)
I've learned the hard way.

Good for you running the half marathon. I wanted to be ready this summer and do one but my running buddy hurted her foot right after I injured my leg.

SO yeah, stay safe!