Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bad House News

Here's Julio and Juan Carlos' ceiling:







Not good. It's dripping water and the drywall is falling off even as I type.

We had a plumber come out today who said this is a MAJOR drainage problem that will take at least a month to fix. A month? Do you know what a *month* means in Brazil (at least in this part of Brazil)? It's a whole lot closer to 3, 4 or 5 months (you just never know, but you do know it's going to be a lot longer than their estimate). He also mentioned that eventually (tomorrow? next week? in 5 years?), in the living room which is directly above the boys room, the water seeping through the walls will cause the floor to give off an electrical shock to anyone walking on it.

Awesome.

Guapo say he just said that to be dramatic and to freak me out. Guess what? It worked. I have this awful picture in my head now of poor Pedro's little body stiffening up as he unknowingly enters a electrical force field while cruising across the room to rewind his Blue's Clues video (yes, we still have a VHS player and videos and it's a dang good thing because Pedro recently broke our DVD player).

But I'm not sure what's worse, the ceiling falling on my kids, Pedro and the rest of us receiving periodic shock treatments, or, having a crew of men in my house for some indefinite period of time making holes in the ceilings (and floors). I can almost hear the pounding now.

Oh how I wish I could just put a big band aid over the hole and pretend there's no problem just until we move.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

UGH! How awful!! I'm sorry, I really do hope they get things resolved quickly!

If not, after Sidnei is done fixing our leaking ceiling (oh don't worry, we woke up last night to the rain leaking through the ceiling right on top of our bed) I'll send him your way!

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

no- that does not look good at all-

I hope you get it resolved quicker than past experiences have led you to expect.

Kari said...

Maybe this time with workers in your house will surprise you. Yes, that's it: think good thoughts..."it will be an easy fix...it will be an easy fix..." :)

Janice said...

Oh no! So sorry. Here is hoping it is an easy fix and nor a major one like predicted.

Ballerina Girl said...

Oh no!~
not the dreaded house workers...or shall we call them anti-workers?
Ok, I did giggle though when you talked about the force field...just teach him like Beetee did to Catniss...how to see it!!

Sorry, not a funny situation...you can move in with my circus!

BG

Lana said...

oh no! that looks awful!

Jules said...

At least you have some experience with this before. It looks like your kitchen ceiling back at 4030. And waiting for the landlord to fix that is almost like Brazil time.

Abby said...

This reminds me of your story about the kitchen ceiling in Arlington. You have bad ceiling luck--but if Margarita's ability to avoid ceiling-related danger is any indication, Pedro should be just fine, right?!