Saturday, December 04, 2010

Not Today. Not Today.

My blog haunts me every night as I go to bed; it nags, "You didn't post today. AGAIN." Oh, the disappointment, the guilt, the horror. Not only am I missing my blog friends and their interesting lives, I'm not recording my own life. But I just don't have any big chunks of time like I used to when I didn't have to cook and clean and that's what I require to write. I'm hoping that at some point I will be able to get it together enough to post a couple of times a week, but so far, I'm just living with the daily nagging of my blog.

So, forgive me. It's not you, it's me. I promise.

Anyway. You may have wondered how our first Thanksgiving back in the States went after 9 years of it slowly losing its meaning because I couldn't get fried onions, cranberries, or sweet potatoes and Guapo was always at work anyway, so what was the point?

Well... we spent it...back to Mexico on the beach where we spent our three Mexican Thanksgivings. We went with my parents and siblings and their families. I'm obviously not complaining, I just think it's funny. I also think it's funny that after 9 years of having to travel with with baby after baby, making each and every flight a veritable nightmare, our kids are now pretty easy to travel with and now we won't do nearly as much airplane travel. I took naps, read a book, stared into space for long periods of time-I didn't have to do barely anything for them.

So, here are a few shots from the trip...

The lovely beach that has unfortunately been discovered by Europeans snorkel enthusiasts-it used to be so sleepy and this time there were certain days when herds of waddling-finned and goggled people invaded in hopes of seeing a few of the many turtles that live just off the shore.


The sand crabs the kids caught every night:



Poor Pedro was terrified of them and refused the nightly "crab hunt" after the very first night when he told me, "I can't take it anymore!" (My mom asked, "I wonder who he's heard that from." Who? From me? Yeah, probably.)


Here's the little guy on the beach.



Awwww. He's growing up.

Speaking of "Poor Pedro", he spent a good portion of the 8 day trip sick. I gave him the croup which I had right before we left (I know, you thought grown-ups couldn't get the croup. They can.), and then he got a bad case of "Montezuma's revenge" the last 3 days and spent most of his time on a lawn chair sleeping:



He was still pretty good natured though:



We relived our Mexico days and climbed the ruins of Coba:


And, we did some zip-lining into a cenote:



Yes, I was that scared. After having lived there for 3 years and seeing the lack of quality control, and the high frequency of jimmy-rigging with wire and duct tape, I'm still surprised I did it (and let my kids do it). But, we all survived and had a ton of fun in the process.

Here's my splash into the beautiful cenote:



And with that, I'm going to go to bed IN PEACE for once, having appeased my nagging blog.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

HI!!
I've missed you but understand how busy it gets.
This looks like a great way to spend Thanksgiving...
and the cenote is beautiful!
My buddy really is getting bigger....give him a big hug from Auntie BG!

Love and miss you alot
BG

Janice said...

After 11 years of not going to Boulder to Thanksgiving, we make it there and you are were not there. So sad.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the blog nagging at you. It does it to me, too. So annoying and stressful!

Looks like you had a fun trip. Your plane ride sounds heavenly! That's sad that Pedro was sick for most of your trip, though.

Super Happy Girl said...

"Oh, the disappointment, the guilt, the horror..." You and me sister.

That picture of Pedro smiling thru the sickness is precious.

You always have the best pictures Gabs, and I hope you know I love cenotes :)

Abby said...

Looks fun! I'm more than a little jealous since I'm freezing here. In the third (last) picture of Pedro, I think he looks SO much like Juan Carlos. I've never noticed before-or maybe it's just the photo.

nikko said...

Beautiful! What a great place for a vacation. :o)