Sunday, July 23, 2006

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Not really. It was great to get back to my little kiddos. They had a blast at "Cousin Camp" here in Utah while we were off playing in San Francisco.

Nothing too bloggable happened in California. I did get to shower and go to the bathroom by myself for 4 continuous days. And eat my own meal without cutting up anything for anyone. And I slept in until I felt like getting up.

Our hotel was at the top of Nob Hill and dang if we didn't walk up that stupid hill 10 times in 4 days. San Francisco has what they call the"Spare the Air" campaign when the pollution is bad; on those days all public transportation is free. Including cable cars. Our first and last days of vacation were "Spare the Air" days. This meant a 2 hour wait for the cable car to get up to our hotel. And, did you know it costs $5.00 for a one way ride on a cable car? Wow.

So, picture Guapo and me dragging our luggage 1/2 mile up the dang hill. When we checked in to our fancy-shmancy hotel the check-in lady looked at us like we were hill-billies. "Where are you coming from?" she asked condescendingly as the sweat dripped off of our chins. I think she felt bad for us, because she gave us a room upgrade. Score!

We did all of the normal San Fran stuff. I will spare you all the details.

Anyone else out there in Utah? I am roasting!!!

16 comments:

Valarie said...

I'm glad you had a nice time. We had a very similar experience dragging our luggage up the hill. Lucky for us it was February as opposed to a record breaking July.

Anonymous said...

I hate the Utah heat. Give the cool nights in Boulder any day!

Millie said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! Glad you enjoyed yourself and had some fun time with Guapo. I forgot about your weekend and was wondering where you went (I so need to get a life).

Blackeyedsue said...

Okay, I am steaming JEALOUS that you were able to eat a meal without kids. I have a vague recollection about that.

Yup, I hear you about the Utah heat. Our AC is struggling to keep our house at 81 degrees. I am moving to Alaska!

I hate July in Utah.

Super Happy Girl said...

It is my BOFF!
Glad you had a happy time in Frisco. Going to the shower by yourself is indeed something to blog about.

Who knew looking like a sweaty hillbilly would get you a room upgrade? Do you think I'll get one looking like a sweaty Mexican? how about a glowing Mexican?

Have a great week! Friday the temp down here in Sin City was 113 F. Not good.

So rejoice Gabriela and don't roast. I do not like stalk roasted Italian-Americans.

Grammy said...

Welcome back, so glad you had fun. I've been missing you here in blogland though. When are you coming back to Houston?

Lana said...

sleeping in, showering solo...sounds like my idea of vacation heaven!

Glad you had fun

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm 4 days of private potty breaks...thats worth walking up a hill or two! Glad you had fun!

Brooke said...

I love the background picture!

I didn't like the weather in Utah, but had a good time there anyway. Three words: Nielsen's Frozen Custard.

utmommy said...

Sounds like you had a great vacation!!

The heat here in Utah has been horrible this year.

Kristen said...

Well, I'm in colorado, and we're roasting, too. I think the whole country is roasting.

To me, going to the bathroom alone, sleeping in, and eating without cutting up food is reason enough to enjoy a vacation! Sounds like you had a great time with the exception of climbing up Nob Hill.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!!! I can totally empathize on the "mommy break" as well! The days are going by so fast and before we know it, vacation is over----so here's to enjoying it to the hilt!

Have fun and can't wait to talk to you soon.

Lei said...

oh please do not spare any details... i told you how i love san fran with every fiber of my being!!! what did you do? where did you eat? c'mon!!! ;)

Deannna - Younique Presenter said...

sounds like so much fun, I so need a break from the kids. and yes we want to hear details!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time in SF. I love that city by the bay.

Also, the heat in Utah is purely EVIL! I hated it, although coming back to WA wasn't much better.

When I was in Provo I took my kids to the Cougar bookstore and bought them all shirts and sweatshirts too! I'm hoping they will decide to go there when the time comes as well. GMTA!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had an enjoyable trip despite the hill climbing. I know it is roasting here....that is why I am hiding out in my basement playing on my computer.