Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mid-March Randomness

First off, thanks for all of your kind words in regard to my aunt who passed away this week. Traci was right, Aunt Bruna was a character and I will miss seeing her at family reunions and eating her scrumptious Italian cooking.

And to all concerned parties (MOM), when said I Pedro makes me "want to have 5 other babies just like him" I was just exaggerating!

All About Bad Guys

Juan Carlos (4 1/2 yrs) is afraid of "robbers" and "bad guys" right now. Especially right before bed. Julio (7 yrs) is always very sweet and patient and helps reassure him by telling him about our building's very high gate, the guards, the surveillance cameras, the many locks on the doors, etc.

A couple of days ago he asked Guapo about where"robbers" live and Guapo tried to explain that they are just normal people that decide to take things that aren't theirs and therefore they live in houses and apartments just like we do. That was not acceptable. He replied, "But they live in little houses right?"

On the way to school today he asked me if "bad guys" have moms and I told him they did. Then he asked, "Do bad guys have bad moms?" That one kind of surprised me. I had to tell him "no, not always" just in case any of my kids turn out to be "bad guys". (knocking on wood)

Pedro Expands His Resume

You already know that Pedro is into origami, but recently he has added drawing to his fast growing list of talents. Rarely is he seen now without a crayon in his chubby little hand. Here he is with a pink crayon:





...and, here he is 3 minutes later with a green crayon:



(will you look at those cheesy smiles? if the artist thing doesn't work out he can still model.)

Time to hide the crayons.

(shhhhh, I don't want to jinx myself, but Pedro has slept through the last 3 out of 4 nights!!!)

My Maid's Two Week Paid Vacation

...all she had to do was get hit by a car. She came over today to prove that she really had a cast and to bring me her doctor's note saying she can't work for two weeks.



No more manicures and bon bons for me, it's 2 weeks of cleaning potties and scrubbing floors.

Kitty's Comfort Knows No Bound

It was Pedro who spotted Kitty taking a nap this time. He started pointing and saying "meow" when he noticed her. Here she is from Pedro's vantage point:

She was way up here:




Book Club Dictator

Can I tell you how much I love my new position in my book club?

I am the "Book Buyer". That means, when members take trips to the States, they ask me to tell them what books to bring back. Maybe I should explain; we are not a normal everyone-reads-a-book-and-we-talk-about-it book club, it is a sort of "traveling library full of books in English" sort of book club. We pay a yearly due and then as people buy books to add to the library, they are reimbursed for their purchases.

A lady this week emailed me and asked me to give her 4 titles to buy. I inherited a list of books to buy from the previous book buyer, but I am pretty much just disregarding it. I got on Amazon and chose 4 books I want to read and sent her the titles.

Awesome.

I hope I don't get fired.

And, remember the lady who stole to my white elephant Christmas present? She's moving! I don't have to pretend to be nice to her anymore while all the while I am burning up inside, coveting the Spaghettio's and Stove Top her kids got to eat. (again with the exaggeration!)

Things are really looking up around here.

14 comments:

Janice said...

I'm dying to know, what were the four book titles?

Janet said...

Yes, I want to know the books too.

I'm also sorry about your aunt. She looks so cute and happy in that picture!

Ballerina Girl said...

Well, the last three books you lent me were fabulous..
so I would love to read the new ones. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and join the group?
Nah, just let me know the titles :)
Cute pics...love the one of the maid...tell me, how did she get those tight pants over the cast, hahaha!!
BG

nikko said...

Pedro is such a cutie! You gotta love those cheesy grins.

utmommy said...

I'm always up for a new good book or two. I need to know the titles too.

Pedro's smile is too cute! Glad to see he's expanding his resume:)

Gabriela said...

Ok, the books were:

"The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory

"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett

"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen

And for the "beach read" because we live 1/4 mile fron the beach,

"Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella

they are all on the NY Times Best sellers list, so I figured no one could complain about me choosing them. :)

marine's words said...

your maid looks so happy not to be wroking!! what a smile!! somehow I can't see you cleaning potties & scrubbing floors.
and, the books sound really good!!

and, I just love your cat! wish I could take naps like that your cat seems to really have it made in the shade!! marina

Darci said...

Ok the maid with the broken foot reminded me of when we moved back to the States and didn't have a maid and I seriously did not know how to make my bed. My dad would tell the maid not to clean our rooms because we needed to learn how to. She did it anyway. Man we were spoiled. I have 2 brasilian neighbors and they were talking to eachother today and I was so homesick. Ah Brasil...

Sandra said...

"The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory is OUTSTANDING. Actually any book by Philippa Gregory is just amazing.....I think you'll really like it :)

Brooke said...

Wow, Pedro is getting so big!!! So sorry about your great aunt.

andalucy said...

Now the cat and the maid are both mocking you with their comfort. Or, maybe the maid is not the most comfortable she's ever been what with the cast, but she sure looks comfy.

Kari said...

GREAT update--! My current obsession is digital scrapbooking and learning all I can about Photoshop. Minutes are limited, (as you well know),so Entertainment Reading will have to wait!
QUESTION: How do you put those red arrows on your photos? Is it a special brush? I think I have the same Photoshop as you.

Gabriela said...

Marina: believe it-I have been scrubbing icky potties all week (my boys have some fear of flushing).

Darci: Hi! I tell my maid the same thing (about not cleaning my kids rooms) but she's a little bit lazy in the cleaning department and therefore always listens when I tell her NOT to clean something. I figure it's good practice for when we go hom.

Sandra: oh good, now I'm really excited!

ABCmomma: thanks!

Calandria: yep, she was totally mocking me with her, albeit casted, comfort!

Kari: it's a feature on my camera. I've had the camera for I don't know, 2 years and Margartia just showed it to me a couple months ago. Thanks kid!

Nettie said...

What a great way to get to read more books! I'm jealous about the sleeping through the night thing. Cyrus has dealt with a new tooth and double ear infections twice this month. But, last night he slept 10 hours and only woke up once, for about 5 min. Where's some wood...

Sorry about the scrubbing toilets.