Friday, December 05, 2008

End of the Week

The quilt is quilted.

I think that's the fastest I've every quilted before and therefore the most pain-free quilt as far as Guapo's concerned. I don't even think he even saw me quilting once.

But, someone is seriously trying to mess with me because now I can't find the fabric for the binding. Where could it be??? I am at a total loss. I just had it Sunday and now it's nowhere to be found. It's not like it would get thrown out. Or would it? Is my maid totally sabotaging me?

In addition to quilting until my fingers bled this week I also had some other activities. One of those was to change my layout, and even though I spent lots of time reading a tutorial on how NOT to lose my widgets, I have seemed to misplaced them along with my fabric. :( Sorry bloggy friends, you are still my friends, but your names aren't there today. They will be soon. Please leave me a comment even in you find my post dull, just so I won't have to google you. :)

Bookclub Christmas Party

Remember last year's fiasco? First I tried to save myself some energy so I bought a potato salad that ended up costing me upwards of $60.00 and then, as if that weren't enough, I lost my awesome bag chocked full of American food stuffs in the white-elephant gift exchange and was left with some Unicef place mats.

This year's party was held at Ballerina Girl's home. She is the best hostess; the kind of hostess I dream of being. You arrive at her house and she looks lovely and relaxed (whereas I usually look frazzled and sweaty), and her home looks beautiful (she doesn't have a Pedro, so this helps). And while she's whipping up her own lovely flower arrangements, her Indonesian maid is whipping up all sorts of yummy foods for us all to eat. It was great.


This year was an improvement in that I spent hardly anything on my dish (I made cinnamon rolls). As far as the gift exchange, I fared a lot better mentally this year. Getting my present stolen last year really annoyed me. Bookclub members still talk about my loss on a regular basis (ok, really only when we were discussing plans for this year's party... and I brought it up).

This year, a very nice serving dish was stolen from me and I was left with this decorative wall hanging:



Do I love it? No. But, I'm not losing any sleep over it so I think I've really matured in the last year (not really. Let's face it, the serving dish didn't have anything on macaroni and cheese, chocolate chips, and Stove top stuffing).

All in all a good experience.

Kindergarten Field Trip

Juan Carlos has a touch of separation anxiety, so his teacher invited me to go on their field trip with him. The plan was to go to a marina where we would visit a naval museum and go on a ferry ride. I wasn't looking forward to it; I may have been hoping for rain (isn't that awful?) so it would be canceled. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kindergartner, but hanging out with 39 of them all hyped up with field trip glee right next to a large body of water isn't my idea of an ideal day (especially when there are quilts that need quilting).

But, it turned out great and I'm really glad they invited me. The weather was perfect, the kids were cute, and no one fell in the water.


And, it reminded me how grateful I am for kindergarten teachers. I could NEVER do that job. There are like 1000 other jobs, many of them blue collar, that I rather have. I really think they deserve six-figure salaries. I am thankful that there are so many different types of people in the world that enjoy doing different things.

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Janet said...

I hope you're going to post pics of the quilt...I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see it.
I'm with ya on the kindergarten teachers. They are amazing. Well, any teacher really.

Janice said...

At every white elephant party, you have to prepare for crap. One year, I ended up with a "How to Nurse" video. I helped that very friend who brought it, figure out nursing.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Wow! Congrats on the quilt, I hope you find the binding fabric soon. I went on a field trip yesterday with 120 2nd graders. And it wasn't as bad as I was prepared for either :)

Unknown said...

Yay for finishing the quilt! I hope you find the missing fabric soon.

Did you get your hair cut or is it pulled back. It looks cut. Did I miss a hair cut???

I wouldn't want to be a kindergarten teacher either. I just like to surround myself with younger kids who cry, fight, and spit up all over me. :-)

I love your Christmas blog look!

Lana said...

what is that lovely box you won?

I like your background.

Fabiola said...

I am looking foward to see the quilt picture. I really admire those who can do it.

Fabiola

Gabriela said...

Janet: I will post it as soon as I give it to her.

Janice: :) I didn't even know they made such videos.

Head Nurse: wow! 120??? that makes my 39 look like nothing.

Maine mom: no haircut, it's just back.

TX mommy: thanks! The wood thing is a wall hanging.

Fabiola: thanks, but quilting really isn't hard, I think anyone could do it if they had an interest.

Ballerina Girl said...

ok, first LOVE the background...
second, not looking so good on the foto of me, but thank you for including me on your post and all of your nice comments about me!
third, YAY for teachers...especially of young ones!
fourth, we will see how easy quilting is in Januray...I will let you know ;)
thanks for the great pizza night
BG

Lynne said...

Make sure you post a picture of the quilt. I can't wait to see how it turned out.

Kari said...

You are amazing!!!!!! Yippee, on getting so much done with the quilt.

AND I agree with the kindergarten teacher comments. Five-year-olds sure can be cute!

andalucy said...

I had the same question as Maine Mom about the hair. Maybe because we're both from Maine? So we both thought of hair? There MUST be some connection. :)

I have had the same thoughts about kindergarten teachers. There will be a special place in heaven reserved for them.

marine's words said...

just had to come by and see if you did ok in your book party these year ") marina