Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh, the Pressure of an Orchid

We had a great Valentine's Day yesterday. Gaupo and I had gone out to eat last Friday night-have I mentioned that my mom takes the kids for a sleepover almost every Friday night? How completely awesome is that? (please don't stop, please don't stop, please don't stop)

So, we took the kiddos out for burgers and shakes and had a grand old time.

In addition to a dozen roses, which would have been quite sufficient, Guapo got me some orchids:




Lovely, no?

I saw them and immediately tensed up.

How many times in Brazil did I attempt to keep an orchid alive? And, how many times did I succeed? That's right. NONE.

After he gives them to me he adds, "They weren't cheap, so don't kill them." Great. No pressure. (and super romantic)

He got them from our bishop's orchid shop (nursery? greenhouse?). I have orders to go into the store and buy special "orchid food" and try to keep the very much in bloom, very healthy orchids alive for an acceptable amount of time (is a week enough?). Help!!!



My sweetest Valentine came from Margarita, who will become a real live teenager in just a couple of weeks. People keep asking me how things are going now that she is quickly approaching the age when kids supposedly turn into a nightmare and I keep saying, "So far so good!"



I had originally posted what she wrote but then I felt funny about it-I don't want her to feel like things she tells or writes to me will end up on my blog. But, take my word for it, my eyes were not dry by the end of it. She is such a sweet girl and I am so lucky that she is my daughter. :)

It made my day.

Hope your day was wonderful.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Janice said...

Ours was slightly less romantic. I got Dentist husband a nose hair trimmer (his request) and he gave me flowers. We took everyone (including my parents who were in town) to In-N-Out.

Abby said...

Margarita is pretty sweet! But I agree with her that she's totally lucky to have you as her mom.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ashley said...

Found it :) Love the Orchids! Beauitful...and what a sweet daughter, I just hope that my girls are just as sweet to me when there are teenagers!

Ballerina Girl said...

well...I always say that I can arrange the flowers but the plants I kill just as easily as you hahaha!
Ask questions in the shop, Guapo is right...supposedly the orchid food helps a lot.

Margarita is such a sweetie and I really don't picture her teenage years being all that difficult...
you are the best Mom...I look up to you too ;)

Love and miss u
BG

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

That is possibly the most gorgeous orchid I have seen- I hope you can keep it alive-

Your daughter is darling and I think that is such a sweet note- and hang on to it- you might get lucky and have an "easy" child- they do exist, I know some even. But that is a note I might even consider framing