Thursday, May 18, 2006

Cursed by My Own Blog

Anyone out there ever jinxed themselves on their blog? Last month I wrote a post about what a great sleeper Juan Carlos (3 yrs old) is (or was).

Well, that was last month. Recently, he has gotten unusually attached to me and doesn't want to be out of my sight for a minute. This includes at night. We go through the normal bedtime ritual and everything seems normal. But once Guapo and I are in our room with the door shut, he lurks (usually singing) around the outside of our door until he either: A) falls asleep in the hall (the tile just can't be that comfortable):

or, more commonly, B) waits until I finally turn out the light (11:00-11:30) when he slowly turns the door handle, tip-toes in, tries to wiggle his way into bed with me until I banish him to "The Chair" (a lazy-boy next to our bed).

Every. Night.

I've been telling Guapo to be patient, that he is probably just struggling on some subconscious level with separation anxiety, being scared of the dark, or something. You know, on some level he wouldn't be able to verbalize. So yesterday I strike up a conversation to see if we can't get to the bottom of the problem and he instantly, completely, matter-of-factly explains his whole method to me:

"You put me in bed, then I go in the hall, then you and dad watch a movie, then dad turns off the movie, then you read a book, then you turn off the light, then I go in to your room and I sleep in the chair. I want to sleep with you, mom."

So there you have it. So much for his subconscious's problems, he's quite aware of what he's doing and why.

Last night when Guapo said good night to him he replied, "Ok dad, now go watch a movie."

He won't want to sleep with me forever, right??? (I am so hoping that by posting this I am re-jinxing myself and he will turn back into the super sleeper he once was!)

16 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

My fingers are crossed for the jinxing of your jinx when you jinxed yourself...I think.

Nettie said...

Maybe he needs a new incentive to stay in his bed. New character sheets? Hope your unjinxing works!

Grammy said...

That Juan Carlos is 1 smart little cookie. There is a method to his madness and it seems to be working according to his diabolical little plan.

I still remember the nights I crawled in beside my Mom. Man, she was a good sport.

Patti said...

LOL! I still cant get over the tile. Little kids are amazing!

smart mama said...

i could send over my freud action figure to help---

Momma G said...

There is SO something to be said about setting yourself up, from now on, when you post about something too good to be true, keep your fingers crossed!!!

Brooke said...

I bet that when he's in junior high, he won't think it's so cool to sleep with his mom.

That tile does look really uncomfortable.

Erickson Family said...

All of my kids have gone through this at one point in their lives. (some more than others). My husband can't stand having kids sleep with us so we had a sleeping bag next to the bed they could crawl in and sleep if they so desired.

Sooner or later they learned their bed was more comfortable and gave it up. Who knows why?

Good luck -- hopefully he'll learn soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone else has those issues. With three kids, two years apart, it seems that someone is always on the floor asleep next to me.

Anonymous said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you but with JC being JC, he'll just surprise you one day with a practical reason for not wanting to sleep in your room anymore....and then you'll wonder why you unjinxed yourself! He's such a smart little man and he must be laughing himself silly at how easy it is for him to get his way with grown-ups. Who can resist his charming grin?

Millie said...

LOL at "freud action figure"

Yeah, he's got it all figured out! We keep blankets handy for just those occasions, and the 4-year-old is the usual culprit.

Hey, it could be worse. In 12 years or so, you'll be glad just knowing he's home in bed.

Rachelle said...

I hope this post will unjinx you. No advice, but I hope he grows out of it quickly! That tile doesn't look so comfortable.

Kristen said...

Oh, ugh. My three year old daughter is the same way. It's hard. Maybe it's an age related thing and they'll grow out of it. We can hope, right?!?!

Gabriela said...

Totally lauging at Smart Mamas's frued action figure, and Naddin J: point well taken!

Super Happy Girl said...

Gabriela, you know that post ("Make brownie-pasta") is one of my favorites, oh and the one with the Big Shrimp).

Maybe you can show J.C. that post and pictures, so he can see -and maybe remember- how happy he looks in his own comfy space.

This never happened to me, my kids always stayed in their beds, but I'm pretty sure it won't last forever. Hey, by the time they turn into teens, all you have left is the memories of how cute they were as sweet little kids.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that our kids sleeping habits play such a vital role in our lives...."mommy is exhausted today because baby kept her up all night...please play by yourselves while mommy takes a nap". Hope he starts liking his own bed soon.