Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Works For Me Wednesday

A couple of weeks ago, Shannon over at Rocks in My Dryer started a "Works for Me Wednesday" theme, wherein participants share a tip that works for them. I am more the "tip-gathering" type than the "tip-giving" type, but I will play along as long as I can think of useful tips.

Here in Small Town, Mexico we occasionally have power outages. So, I have a Rubbermaid container that I keep high up in my room (where my 3 little cyclones can't reach it) that I keep filled with flashlights, extra batteries that actually fit said flashlights, candles, matches, a battery-operated lantern, etc. No more stumbling through the dark looking for a flashlight. When the power goes out, I know right where to find everything I need.

Works for me!

14 comments:

Nettie said...

Great idea! That is smart to keep it close to your bed. Perfect for a middle of the night emergency.

Anonymous said...

Great idea....I will be looking for my flashlights for the rest of the day....We are always losing those things!

Super Happy Girl said...

Emergency preparedness, way to go! that's such a good idea. I like having things in ONE place, and always the same place.

How come you have power outages (is it storms, bad routing, la llorona?).

Gabriela said...

Our power comes to us from Merida, more than 4 hours away. So, if there are any problems between here and there, no power.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll do it your way! I have flashlights and candles placed strategically all over my house. What I always fail to take into account is that when it's time to use them, I completely forget where my "strategic locations" are located!Thanks for the tip!

T said...

Very smart. We have a container like that full of camping supplies. It could serve both purposes. One year we had an ice storm here in Quebec and we were without power for days, some people had no power for weeks!

Thank goodness that doesn't happen very often!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

now that's an idea that I can use!

Excellent!

Amber said...

Smart, smart, smart!

Lei said...

That is an awesome idea, Gabriela! We are constantly losing electricity, so I think I may have to do this one!

Grammy said...

Once again, you are the smart one! I miss you, but I finally posted again today. Now - if I had only had you show me the easy way to do pictures, my posts could be more interesting without the help of "the man".

Love you!

T!ff@ny said...

Wonderful idea...that would be very helpful because we usually never know where the flashlight is and USUALLY there are no batteries! Thanks for the tip!

Rachelle said...

What a great idea. That is just good emergency preparedness!

Brooke said...

I'm enjoying learning about small town Mexico and keep coming back, so I'm adding you to my blogroll. Is that ok with you? Come visit and let me know.

Super Happy Girl said...

Gabriela, I just realized I added you to my blog roll and didn’t even asked you (like abc momma did) sorry, did I commit some sort of “blogger faux pas”? sorry, I just enjoy your blog so much I wanted to share it with readers (both of them).