Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Happy Birthday Juan Carlos

We have recently celebrated Juan Carlos's 3rd birthday. I just wanted to take a minute and reflect on how much I love being his mom.

He was born after a short, but very painful (thanks to a pitocin-drip and a very late anethesiologist), delivery in Caracas, Venezuela. He entered the world sobbing; they handed him to me and I held his little face to mine and he instantly calmed down. It was one of those moments I will never forget. Not much has changed, to this day he is a true "mamma's boy".

He is our little blond-haired, blue-eyed Venezuelan. He is like a ray of sunshine in our lives with his happy disposition and funny sense of humor. Like the other day, he came running to me to report a fall off of the back of the sofa; he talks so fast and half of it you can't understand, but the last part was very clear: "just like Humpy Dumpy."

Here's one of my favorite pics of him:

The child is part-fish (must come from Guapo's side of the family). I am not one to obnoxiously brag about my children, but I think he may have a future as an Olympic swimmer! He has been swimming for just shy of a year (never had a lesson) and can make it 2/3rds the length of our pool. This week he added to his repertoire of tricks a complete front flip off of the side of the pool. Amazing!

And, he loves to dance. This must have something to do with being born in Latin America because Guapo and I are not so hot on the dance floor. If we are out walking around and a car drives by with their bass booming, he will stop whatever he's doing and dance. Here is a little clip from a Halloween party last year. He went as a little pig (video courtesy of my good friend Alessandra):


Video Hosting - Upload Video - Photo Sharing

Happy Birthday Juan Carlos! I love you!

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

He is beautiful! What a fun traveling life you have had - having him in Venezula

Anonymous said...

I can attest to his very sunny disposition. He's a precious, precious boy! And he CAN dance!

Kristen said...

Awww! Happy Birthday! He is such a cutie! Wow, on the swimming thing, too! That's pretty amazing! He sounds like he's a fun little guy!

T said...

I love the first picture. It really captures how soft and beautiful newborn babies are. I should not be allowed to look at such pictures, I'll end up pregnant again.

I should only look at pictures of huge uncomfortable pregnant ladies and obnoxious teenagers.

Happy Birthday little fish.

Nettie said...

Happy Birthday! That is so amazing he can swim and dance like that. And I love the birth picture. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories of your precious little boy. He is adorable!! And so talented so early!!! Sorry about the pitocin....that stuff is killer!