Monday, May 15, 2006

Not So Best of Small Town Mexico-My Dishwasher(s)

Welcome to the time of the week when I get to vent my frustrations on living here in Small Town. None of my complaints are any big deal and I'm not really the complaining type, but I thought I'd share just in case anyone was wondering what some of the drawbacks might be to up and moving to Small Town in the near future (I know the shrimp from yesterday's post has got some of you thinking).

Well, one problem is my dishwasher. Actually, I have two. Here is one:

And here is the other.

No. Dishwasher.
No. Disposal.

And here's the sink. It only has one section.


So, I have to put this red bucket in the sink to have some semblance of separate washing and rinsing areas (looks eerily like the kids' bathtub, don't you think?).

I don't do all the dishes. Sometimes I use these little dishwashers, but they often malfunction, leaving a sudsy mess all over the kitchen.

And, three mornings a week a nice lady comes and cleans my house. I could have her come every day, but I prefer a messy house to someone constantly lurking about making me feel lazy. So, she takes care of the dishes 3 times a week but 5 people X 3 meals a day = muchos platos sucios.

Another bonus of Small Town dishwashing: if dishes aren't washed before bed, many different types of ants come out to check out the pickings. I am not too proud to admit that sometimes, after a long day, the ants win.

So, start a load of dishes in my honor today!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll start a load of dishes as we speak!!! Love the blogs!

Anonymous said...

Haaahaaa! This is so cute and funny. I'd load up the dishwasher if I had one but that too has been an elusive dream lately......Meantime, three cheers for nice ladies who come and clean our houses!

Lana said...

I load up twice a day at least and don't know what I'd do w ithout my dishwasher!

Karla said...

Love it - reminds me of my days with two tiny kids and no dishwasher (and a single basin sink): boiling bottles to sanitize them, using scalding hot water to wash anything that raw meat had touched, and yes the ants . . . I feel for ya.

Brooke said...

I really feel for you. Which is worse, ants or cockroaches?

Blackeyedsue said...

I won't get huffy next time my husband doesn't have the dishwasher unloaded on time.

Where do I find one of those nice ladies to come and clean my house?

Nantie Meg said...

I just need to teach my roommates how to use our dishwasher in our apartment. Even if the dishwasher is completely empty, there will be a large load of dishes in the sink when I get home from work.

Erickson Family said...

I feel for you. I lived without at dishwasher for the past three years with 4 kids until we moved into our new house. That was one of the conditions was that it have a dishwasher!

Although I might trade it for someone who would clean my house 3 times a week........ I'm a closet chore-hater.

Erickson Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabriela said...

ABC Momma: we've got both here. I'd have to say the ants bother me more as they feel no need to hide from me as do the roaches. Got to love Small Town!

Anonymous said...

We lived the first 6 years of our married life without a dishwasher. We have now had one for three years and I have to constantly remind myself what a luxury it truely is. I emphatize with you!

Anonymous said...

Gabs, I had no idea you didn't have a dishwasher. It is just like our days at 4030, expect your kitchen ceiling isn't caving in. Now,I do have dishwaher as well as ants and cockroaches. Ahhhh-the many pains of extreme humidity.

Bright One said...

LOVE the dishwashers! (But never want to see that model in my house again if you know what I mean! : )

Gabriela said...

Jules: If you remember, we were the only apartment in good ole 4030 to have a dishwasher! We did have the caving in ceiling though, should do a post on that! Poor Margarita. At least we got $20 out of the deal. :<

Anonymous said...

I had those same dishwashers until we moved to our current home....loving the real one. DH and I use to wash the dishes together. It was a fun time to talk and visit.

smart mama said...

the pain, the torture, HATE dishes- can you get one you hook up to the sink- my parents brought one to turkey with us- dishwasher is def one of my top 5 items when stranded on a desert (or dessert island for that matter) island

Rachelle said...

Oh man I hate to handwash dishes. I admire you and your sense of humor. Darn those malfunctioning small dishwashers anyway! :)

Millie said...

sigh... 7 people, 1 mom, mega dishes, one lady trying to handle it all. I would shoot myself without a dishwasher.

I feel for you! Happy to hear I'm not the only one who lets the ants win sometimes.

the lizness said...

I am WITH you! No dishwasher, but I do have a disposal at least. But only a single sink. And very little room on either side of the sink so I'm always.doing.dishes because there is just no room to allow them to pile up like I'd prefer :)

Patti said...

Hand washing dishes was the bane of my existence as a child. I feel for you, and the other little dishwashers!

Nettie said...

Cute post! I'm with handimom. I'd rather have a housekeeper come in 3x a week, as I usually end up washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, anyways.

Grammy said...

I LOVE your dishwashers - - - flying suds and all!

Anonymous said...

This ONE's for you!! Setting normal, air dry.....
You are so funny!!