Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Clubbing

October was turn to host my bookclub. That entails keeping the books safe for the month (which is the sole reason I volunteer to host):



...and hosting two meetings. My first meeting a couple of weeks ago was kind of a bust. My cinnamon rolls didn't rise and I had to serve them anyway because everyone knew I was making them, and one of the new women has celiac disease and of all the food I made she could only eat some fruit salad. I felt bad.



So, today I planned for some gluten free items (black bean dip, an Asian salad with the ramen noodles on the side, and a colorful veggie tray). She didn't come. Only 4 women (out of about 15)actually showed up today and look at all of this food.




Oh well, I rather host a small group, and my kids had tons of snacks after school.

Having the books gives me the opportunity to sample lots of books. I start a lot, but I don't know if you've noticed or not, but there's a lot of crap out there, so I don't actually finish a lot of books. But, I've gotten lucky lately with a few books that I have really enjoyed. So, if you are looking for something to read here are a few ideas:





The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World. By Eric Weiner.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie. By Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows




Unaccustomed Earth. Jhumpa Lahiri.



Infidel. By Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Once the 4 bookclub women left, I headed off to quilt group (the life of an expat women is very demanding) Remember my square that I made? Ten other women have finished and I got to bring home the new squares today (you can click on it to see it larger):

Cute stuff, don't you think?

15 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

A book has to be truly awful for me not to finish reading it. Sometimes I will finish a book and the wonder why I wasted my time reading it.

You are going to have a very cute quilt!

Janice said...

Wow! That is going to be one great quilt.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Very cute squares! Can't wait to see the finished product. I think I might try a couple of those books as well.

Abby said...

I've been looking for a good book, so thanks! I'm also very impressed with your quilt square, and all the quilt squares for that matter. I'm just hoping I can successfully paint our bathroom this week:)

Pinkberry is frozen yogurt that is suddenly the new craze here in the U.S. It's plain frozen yogurt and then you add fruit or other toppings to it to add flavor.

andalucy said...

That food photo made my mouth water. Thanks for the book suggestions! I'm going to make a note of those.

That quilt is going to be so cute!!

Code Yellow Mom said...

OH. That food. Yum, yum, yum.

And now Amazon gets some more of my business. I've been wondering about the Guernsey Literary etc. book...almost picked it up before I left the States. And the Geography of Bliss looks super interesting. Thanks!

And look how crafty you are, in the midst of your expat life. :) Those quilt squares looks adorable. How fun to piece it together!

Unknown said...

I wish I could have been there to dive in to all of that yummy food! You put a lot of work into that spread. I bet your kids were happy to have such a variety of food to choose from...or they should have been. :-)

I love all of the quilt squares! I can't wait to see the finished quilt (hint, hint).

Ballerina Girl said...

Hi Gabriela
First of all, sorry that I was not #5 of the 15!! I would have loved some of that food..(.darn Bella!)
Two, why did you not make me do that quilt? (said in my best whiney voice!)
Very nice squares...so, who do you think would want to sell theirs? hahaha!
See you soon!
BG

Janet said...

That quilt looks like it's going to be awesome!

Thanks for the book suggestions. I'll be back to write those down.

Lana said...

that will be a beautiful quilt! Will you have it done for this year?

Book club is hit and miss around here too, your food looks so yummy! sorry so few were there to eat it.

I'll have to try some of the books on your list :) Thanks

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me with your projects, your language skills, your ability to fit into another culture outside of the U.S. These are unique qualities that so few of us have. You always seem to find the "good" in a culture rather than just seeing how different or "bad" they are. I admire you so much for these special qualities. You will never be accused of being an "Ugly American".

Gabriela said...

If the quilt gets done this year, it will be a Festivus Miracle.

Anonymous: Mom? Is that you? :)
(she's defending my honor after I received quite a biting comment a few posts back.) Thanks Ma. Love ya.

Super Happy Girl said...

The leadies that didn't show up FAILed big time. The food looks delicious, the books look great but the company would have been the bestest :)

The quilt is going to look super cute!

Kari said...

Awesome, now I have some book ideas, for someday when I read again...today I'd much rather watch and learn from carpenters, cement-layers and electricians...:)

marine's words said...

wow!! the food looks great!! and your guilt is going to look so pretty ! marina