Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Trouble in Kindergarten

Juan Carlos (5 years old) came home yesterday a tad bit quiet. As he was walking home from swimming (in his swim trunks) with Guapo, he broke down and started crying. Between sobs, he told Guapo he had gotten in trouble at school. Guapo tried to ease it out of him, but he wouldn't budge; he even suggested that Guapo just call his teacher to find out about it.

So, they get home and Guapo asks me if I knew about this problem and I told him, no, I did not and I went to try to get the 411 from Juan Carlos.

This triggered AN HOUR (no exaggeration here) of crying and no information except for the fact that he had to "talk to his teacher" about it.

You can imagine how hard I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck a kindergartener (more specifically, my kindergartener who is not at all the troublemaker type), could do to bring on this kind of remorse.

Finally, after he calmed down a bit, he agreed to tell me in the morning what had ensued in his classroom. I told him he would have a much better night's sleep if he just told me about it now and didn't have to think about it any longer.

At last, last he revealed his crime to me: while amongst classmates, he said, "I hate sisters," which was overheard by his teacher who then proceeded to talk to him about it.

I know his teacher well, she was Margarita's teacher last year, and she is a complete sweetheart, so I was certain that she didn't come down too hard on him for his comment. I still couldn't believe that that had caused such a reaction from him, so when I saw her today I asked, "What happened yesterday with Juan Carlos?" and she looked at me, totally confused. When I explained what had happened at home she was completely surprised. She told me she heard him say it, called him over and told him that wasn't a nice thing to say and THAT WAS IT. She felt horrible that he had spent so much time worrying about it.

I don't think we are going to have to many disciplinary problems with Juan Carlos.

(And I should mention that he adores Margarita, so I'm not sure what the context was, but I certainly wasn't about to bring it up again!)

11 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds like peer pressure to me. :) Poor thing, carrying around that burden all day! What a sweetheart.

Abby said...

Awww. I remember feeling SO guilty once when I was little and picked flowers at recess that were not supposed to be picked (I didn't know this at the time, but got a little reprimand after gathering a few). I cried all night because I felt so bad, so I feel JC's pain!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing. Was it his teacher's reprimand or his guilt saying it that made him so distraught? He's so kind-hearted and sensitive!

Awesome Mom said...

Poor guy! I am glad that it was nothing really.

Janice said...

There is something so sweet yet sad about this story.

Code Yellow Mom said...

Sooo glad you wrote this one down. How precious that his little conscience is so sensitive. I remember getting a "look" from my second grade teacher because I lifted up the pigtails of a girl in front of me during story time. I was mortified and was sure that now my teacher hated me and thought I was a trouble-maker. So funny how kids try so hard to really, really be good...

Maine Mom said...

Poor Juan Carlos. I'm glad he finally told you what was troubling him.

Lana said...

poor JC, it's nice that he has such a tender heart.

I love your new background!

Ballerina Girl said...

What a sweet little guy...I know that it was more the guilt he felt for saying it...
or maybe he is like me, just so afraid to get "caught" doing even the slightest thing wrong!
I like the new look...very cool!
BG

Kari said...

Awww...very sweet little boy...kindergarten is SUCH a fantastic age.

LOVE the wide-eyed, staring cat, BTW!

Super Happy Girl said...

Janet took my comment 100%
That's so cute. Poor JC, feeling bad all day ;)