Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My Recent Projects

***First off, to avoid accidental feline-induced hypnosis, DO NOT look directly into the cat's eyes!***

When Pedro was born, I decided to take a sabbatical from quilting for a while. I'm a fairly laid back person, but when it comes to "projects" (this includes, but is not limited to: quilting, reading, organizing toys and clothes, and very occasionally, cleaning) I tend to be just a tad-bit type A. Type-A-project-fiend doesn't go well with a nursing baby and 3 other kids that also kind-of like having a mom around.

But now that he's a little older I've started up again. My first post-baby project was to finish a quilt that I actually pieced before he was born. It had been taunting me from a closet in my bedroom since we arrived in Brazil over a year ago. I pulled it out when we got home from our summer trip; I had 6 weeks before our California trip to finish it as a gift for Guapo's sister whom we were going to see there. So, I worked like crazy and finished it just in time for the trip:



I really like how it turned out. I'm not sure you can tell from this picture but it had A TON of quilting:


And now that it has been delivered, I am working on a Christmas "friendship" quilt with a group of 21 other expat women. A friendship quilt is where each participant chooses a design of their choice and then makes a block for each of the other women in the group. So, I will eventually receive 21 other squares, each one different and give one of my squares to everyone else. Then each woman can embellish the squares to her liking and put the quilt together however she wants.

So here's my block:



Cute, huh? And, here are 22 copies of my block:



Here's an example of my type-A-project-ness: the group is meeting today, and the "homework" for this week's meeting was to wash the background fabric so we can cut it into squares.

Hmmmmm. Think I'll skip meetings for the next month or so...

19 comments:

Janice said...

You are a goddess. I can't believe how beautiful those quilts are.

Awesome Mom said...

That is an adorable square!!! I tried quilting but I am not very friendly with my sewing machine so it never took.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Beautiful quilt and awesome quilt square idea! I started reading your blog shortly before you moved to Brazil, and your info was so helpful in getting my son ready to serve a mission there. Sorry I have just been a lurke.

Kristine said...

So are those COMPLETED squares, or just laid out, ready to be completed? They are BEAUTIFUL! (And the fact that you have 22 of them ready/ready to quilt is flat out AMAZING!) Congratulations on having "more" time to do projects again. It is a joy to reach that point.

Oh, and I like the surprised cat.
A lot.

Ballerina Girl said...

good job girl! can i buy it from you?
hahaha!!!
maybe one day you can show me how to do it, and then i can just work on one on my own without having 22 other people depend on me!
BG

Janet said...

Those are gorgeous!
I can see the detailing in the picture and it looks like it took a lot of work.

I would love to have a 'quilting bee' around here. :)

Anonymous said...

Blogging people: I'm the sister that received the one quilt and it is completely "off the hook" (as the kids say now-a-days). Gabs is probably the most kind hearted person I have ever known, hands down.

Gina said...

I am so impressed! Great work! I need to get the quilting bug back... haven't had it since before Liam was born.

Gabriela said...

I pay my sister-in-law to say things like that. :)

Ballerina Girl said...

Gabs...
I know you do not post them, but still, stop by my site, I have an award for you!
BG

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome quilt! It brings back fond memories of quilting with you. Although you were probably gritting your teeth waiting for me to finish my share! But you are just about the best teacher anyone can have!

nikko said...

Awesome! I had no idea that you quilted. I wish I could click to biggify your pictures so I can see the detail!

Beautiful!

Lynne said...

I'm so impressed. Your quilt is beautiful! I can't wait to see what the "friendship" quilt looks like.

Grammy said...

WowW Wow! and more WOW! I am completely in love with the quilt and the quilting is outstanding. You are AMAZING!!! (all in capital letters!)And I love your friendship block (Any chance I could get a copy of your pattern?). I have really enjoyed doing friendship quilts in the past, but a Christmas one is a new idea for me. You're the greatest!

Kari said...

Oh my goodness, absolutely beautiful quilts and squares! This is a hobby I have never had the inkling for (still don't), so I can just admire yours and live it all vicariously through YOU--thanks!

Lana said...

wow! that is beautiful! I wish I quilted, but I am just too lazy :)

Fabiola said...

Dear Gabriela,

What wonderful work. I just love them.

Fabiola

PS: In São Paulo is even cooler than in Rio (50/55 F).

Super Happy Girl said...

Wow Gabs, you just get more amazinger and amazinger!
Beautiful quilts.

marine's words said...

wow!! these is so pretty makes me want to run out and quilt !! I love quilts my grandmother made a beauitful one my older sister has it for now maybe later she well share the the quilt. marina