Monday, October 20, 2008

Argentina

One of the best things about expat life, by far, is the travel. I love the fact that last week we could visit Buenos Aries for 2 nights-we could never do that from the States! (Well, we probably could, but it wouldn't be that much fun what with the 20 hours of travel involved.)

We saw some cool stuff in two days.

Tango dancers in the street:



The Argentine equivalent of the White House, only theirs is the Pink House; They currently have a woman president and Julio wanted to know if that was the reason the house was pink (it's not):





I gained about 5 pounds eating these little babies:



Mmmmmm. Alfajores. They are these sandwich cookies with dulce de leche (delicious carmel like substance) in the center and then covered with chocolate or meringue (my personal favorite).





I brought home 4 boxes as my souvenir. (I may even have a box for Ballerina Girl, but only if she visits me soon, otherwise I will have eaten them all.) Yum!

We saw the biggest tree I've ever seen. This is only ONE tree. Note the little people in front of it:





And we saw the coolest cemetery ever. I am not a lover of cemeteries, but this one was so cool we visited it twice in two days. The individual family tombs were like little houses lined up on streets; each one was different and each had a door that locked and most had windows you could look through. Some had the caskets on display (closed, of course), others had photos, flowers, or statues. Very cool.





This one was opened and they let us sneak a peak. They guy who was cleaning it up let Julio sweep out the doorway (Julio accepted) and then offered to let Julio go down the stairs (Julio declined):




and here is where Eva Peron (remember Evita? Don't Cry for Me Argentina?) was put to rest. We were expecting something extraordinary and lavish, but it was just about like all the rest (except for the variety of fresh flowers and the plaques along the side):





We had an awesome time!

13 comments:

Abby said...

Mmm Alfajores look delicious! And I love the pink house.

Lana said...

Happy Birthday Julio! Looks like a fun trip :)

Awesome Mom said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

So fun! I think I have a recipe for those cookies. I haven't made them, but it comes from a very reliable South American source. I will send it to you.

Fabiola said...

Dear Gabs,

We do have the same taste in Alfajors... The merengue kind is my favorite.
Did you have the chance to take the boat tour in the river and to go to the San Telmo Street Fair?
Eventhough my favorite tour in BA was in the Colon Theather. You can take a tour inside of the theather, with all the reharsal rooms, costume rooms. I do think BG would love there...

Nice you had such a great time!!!

Fabiola

Gabriela said...

Jules: Send it to me!!!

Fabiola-no, I wanted to see the theater, but we just didn't have time. I didn't know there was a boat tour. :( Next time.

Ballerina Girl said...

I am so there...tomorrow?
I love Alfajores! O's sister makes them...DELICIOUS!
Glad to hear that the trip ws so good...can't wait to hear more!
Talk to you amanha...
BG

Kari said...

Fantastic, Gabriela!

Frank and I hit the exact same spots on our quick getaway "anniversary tour"(minus dancers in the street)--and I love the alfajores too--only chocolate--sorry, ha! Travel is my favorite thing on the planet, I think, so keep DOING it! I can live it vicariously through you!

Code Yellow Mom said...

That cemetery is AWESOME. (I kinda like them anyway, but that one is amazing.) I would travel from here to Buenos Aires just to see it. I've always wanted to look at the similiar ones in New Orleans, too. If they heven't floated away yet. :)

Looks like a fabulous treat. Those cookies also look marvelous. And I can't believe that tree!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Julio!

I love your idea of taking Julio to Argentina for his birthday instead of a party! I'm glad he chose that option. :-) Now I need to come up with an idea for my kids instead of a party. I like your thinking!

Your "Let Sleeping Babies Lie" post cracked me up! I think with your handful of sleeping baby pictures, you have the best one with Pedro asleep with spaghetti hanging from his mouth. I love it!

JD said...

Can't wait until the Band is done with school so we can go traveling!

Super Happy Girl said...

I love alfajores.
Julio chose a great birthday gift by taking this trip.
So that house is always pink. Huh.

lizzy-loo said...

i also have a great alfajores recipe. so glad your trip was fun. julio is a lucky birthday boy and G says happy happy day.